- New members must show a dedication to the Program by attending six consecutive meetings.
- On the seventh meeting, new members must bring a one-page, typed, double-spaced essay explaining why they want to become a CCFD Explorer.
- Must pass a written exam based on the Del Mar Firefighters Handbook (2nd edition) chapter on fire behavior. Study material for this will be provided on the 6th meeting. This test will be a combination of multiple-choice and fill in the blank questions.
- Must pass a physical exam that consists of the following components:
- 1.5 mile run in less than 13 minutes
- A minimum of 45 sit-ups in one minute
- A minimum of 30 push ups in one minute
- A hose drag of 200 ft. with 100 ft. of 1¾-inch hose
- Must successfully complete a personal interview with a question and answer period. This is used to gauge the new members attitude and allow them to ask questions.
Explorers must maintain a minimum test average of 80%. Test scores of less than 80% will result in the Explorer being counseled on how to improve. If a third failing grade occurs, then the Explorer will be demoted. On the fourth offense, the Explorer will be asked to leave the Program.
Physical ability will be benchmarked on a quarterly basis. Explorers are expected to show progress in all areas of the physical ability test. The fire service is a very demanding physical profession; therefore, if the Explorer does not show progress from test to test, they will be counseled progressively with a policy of third offense dismissal from the Program. Appropriate physical conditioning cannot be achieved once every two weeks; therefore, a consistent, self-motivated physical program will be essential for success.
Community service and volunteer time are vital parts of the Clark County Fire Department Explorers Program. Explorers will be required to volunteer a minimum of four (4) hours per month. Explorers can either volunteer within or outside of the fire department but all times must be documented.
Levels of Explorer
White shirt – first six meetings
Explorer 1 – up to six months
Explorer 2 – unlimited time (ride along level)
Explorer 2 Officer – Captain or Lieutenant of a platoon
Cadet – must have been a Platoon Officer to be considered